Lunch and afternoon sessions
Your Place or Mine Catering, 501 E. 5th, Holton KS 66436
Dinner and evening session:
Holton House, 125 E 4th St. Holton KS 66436
12:45 – 1:25 Lunch at Your Place or Mine Catering
1:30 – 2:30 Welcome & Vaccine Hesitancy, What's a provider to do? Dennis Cooley, MD
2:30 – 3:30 Ask the Experts Panel:
John Joliff, MD (cardiology)
Brian Cobb, MD (OB/GYN)
Michael Engelken, MD (family physician, hospitalist)
James Hamilton, Jr, MD (general surgery)
3:30 – 3:45 Break
3:45 – 4:45 Medicaid Update & integrating primary care and public health in our community
health systems, Robert Moser, MD (KDHE Secretary)
4:45 – 5:45 NHSC and Kansas Academy of Family Physicians Discussion:
Connecting with YOU! Discussion with attendees, featuring KAFP leaders and
KDHE Office of Primary Care Representatives
5:45 – 6:15 Break to go to Holton House for dinner and evening CME session
6:15 – 6:45 Reception
6:45 – 7:30 Dinner
7:30 - 8:30 Humor in Medicine, Vance Lassey, MD
THIS LIVE ACTIVITY HAS BEEN REVIEWED AND IS ACCEPTABLE FOR UP TO 5.0 PRESCRIBED CREDITS BY THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF FAMILY PHYSICIANS.
AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the American Medical Association as equivalent to AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ toward the AMA Physician's Recognition Award. When applying for the AMA PRA, Prescribed credit earned must be reported as Prescribed credit, not as Category 1.
FACULTY: Dennis Cooley, MD (Topeka) Pediatrician; John Joliff, MD (Topeka) Medical Director, Cardiology St Francis Heart and Vascular Center; Brian J. Cobb, MD (Topeka) OB/GYN, OB/GYN Associates; Michael Engelken MD (Topeka) Medical Director, Family Practice, KAFP Communications Committee Co-Chair; James Hamilton, JR, MD (Topeka) Surgeon, Tallgrass Surgical Group; Robert Moser, MD (Topeka) Secretary, Kansas Department of Health & Environment; Deb Clements, MD (Overland Park) Family physician, KAFP Board Chair; Mike Munger, MD (Overland Park) Family physician, KAFP Delegate; Chad Johanning, MD (Atchison) Family physician, KAFP District Director; Vance Lassey, MD (Holton) Family physician
At the end of this session, participants should be able to:
- Understand the underlying causes of parents refusing to vaccinate their child.
- Become knowledgeable of the best approaches to discuss immunization concerns with parents.
- Become aware of the various alternative immunization schedules being proposed by parents and the problems they pose.
- Interact and reflect on specific patient cases with a panel of experts in cardiology, intensive care pediatrics, hospital medicine and general surgery.
- Discuss how to improve health outcomes through collaboration with community.
- Discuss the health outcome metrics that are the focus of KanCare.
- Discuss the value of approaching clinical care with a population health focus. Interact and reflect on specific patient cases with a panel of experts in cardiology, OB/GYN, hospital medicine and general surgery.
- Understand ways in which KAFP, AAFP and the KDHE Office of Primary Care offer clinical and practice assistance to rural Kansas practices, and how to access that assistance.
- Identify ways to relieve stress.
- Understand the physical and psychological benefits of laughter.
- Examine incongruity of perspective, and how to use it to find humor in the medical workplace
- Learn to read all the objectives, even down to the last one