This week marks the 25th anniversary of National Infant Immunization Week (NIIW) – April 27–May 4, 2019.
Here are some ideas for ways that your practice can celebrate NIIW this year:
- “Launch” NIIW by bringing in breakfast or lunch for your staff. Bring copies of CDC’s “Talking with Parents about Vaccines for Infants CDC-pdf[4 pages].” Use this opportunity to discuss ways that your entire practice can promote NIIW to parents. Decorate your waiting room with balloons, streamers, CDC posters, an NIIW banner, and coloring sheets.
- Promote NIIW on Facebook or Twitter. CDC has sample tweets and Facebook posts you can use during NIIW and throughout the year.
- Run an article in your practice’s newsletter or on your website.
- Play CDC videos in your waiting room or link to them on your website:
- Print fact sheets on vaccine safety and vaccine-preventable diseases and display them in your waiting room or exam rooms:
- Encourage your nurses and receptionists to review any resources that you have displayed.
By making NIIW an event for your entire practice, you can raise awareness about the importance of immunization for protecting children in your community and be a strong voice in support of CDC’s recommended immunization schedule.