Nominations & Elections for the KAFP Board of Directors
The KAFP and its Leadership Development Committee seek nominations for two officer positions for the roles of Secretary and Treasurer, three at-large director positions, a resident director and a student director for the 2024 governance year. Details about board position descriptions, criteria, the nominations and elections timeline and the nomination process are below. If you are interested in serving in one of the positions or would like additional information, please contact Tarah Remington Brown at email@example.com.
The individuals who currently hold these positions are eligible for re-election. The Leadership Development Committee encourages all active members who meet the requirements of the open board seats to submit your nominations.
Board positions and terms
As outlined in the Academy’s 2022-2025 Strategic Plan, the Board of Directors will actively identify specific constituencies needed in leadership to accomplish the goals of the plan. As such, we have three of our six at-large director seats with specific emphasis. The board also includes a resident director and a student director. The governance year year is Jan. 1 to Dec. 31.
Terms are outlined below:
- Secretary (two-year term)
- Treasurer (three-year term)
- Three At-large Director positions (two-year terms)
- Resident Director (one-year term)
- Student Director (one-year term)
If you’re interested in gaining leadership experience, read more about KAFP volunteer opportunities here.
With any position that serves on the board, prior leadership experience is essential to success, but we won’t dictate to you what sources that experience should derive from. As part of the application process, nominees will provide information about their leadership experiences as well as share their passion for leading the KAFP. The Leadership Development Committee will also give you a call for an interview. We don’t want to hinder anyone’s interest in leadership service with a long list of arbitrary criteria that is daunting.
The Secretary and Treasurer positions must be filled by an active KAFP member in good standing. Neither position automatically succeeds to President-Elect. The three at-large director positions must be filled by an active KAFP member in good standing. The resident director position must be filled by a first- or second-year resident participating in a Kansas residency program and be a resident member of KAFP in good standing. The student director position must be filled by a first, second- or third-year medical student attending a medical school in Kansas and be a student member of the KAFP.
What makes a great board member?
Best practices define characteristics of great non-profit board leaders as follows:
Exhibit excellent character qualities
- Honest, fair, respectful and ethical
Have a strong commitment to the KAFP
- Passionate about family medicine in Kansas
- Thoughtful about advancing the mission of KAFP
- Willingness to advocate on behalf of our colleagues, patients and communities
Innovative and forward-thinking
- Committed to serving the KAFP to move our strategic plan forward
Willing to make regular contributions to the KAFP Foundation
- Willingness to donate time, resources and opportunities to meet the goals of the Foundation and support its mission
Enhancing and nurturing relationships
- Engaging with members; really listen to their needs
- Willingly speak to the merits of KAFP to non-members
- Introducing KAFP staff to potential sponsors and partners
Responsibilities, expectations and time commitments
- Support the KAFP mission and vision
- Come prepared to actively participate in regular and special meetings of the board
- Be an advocate for KAFP in your spheres of influence
- Volunteer for Family Doctor of the Day at least once during the legislative session
- Actively seek and cultivate future volunteers, committee chairs, delegates and board members
- Serve on a designated committee
- Drive the strategic plan of the KAFP forward
- Disclose any potential conflicts of interest
- Participate in and support KAFP all events, including Advocacy Day and Fam Med Forward
- Donate to the KAFP Foundation
In addition to the outlined terms of each board position, the time commitment to serve on the KAFP board of directors averages 2-3 hours per month. Officers volunteer approximately 5-6 hours per month of their time. This includes board meetings on the third Thursday of odd-numbered months (January, March, May, July, September, and November), typically over the lunch hour using a virtual platform. Two meetings of the board will be more than one hour and occur in person, usually in January and May.
Take their fiduciary duties of board leadership seriously
Learn more about these best practices here.
We are seeking nominations from all eligible members. The following will provide due dates and deadlines related to nominations and elections.
- Week of Oct. 2 – Call for Nominations
- Week of Oct. 16 – Nominations due
- Week of Oct. 30 – Leadership Development Committee meets to review nominations
- Week of Nov. 6- Leadership Development Committee conducts interviews
- Nov. 16 – Leadership Development Committee presents slate of candidates to Board of Directors for approval
- Week of Nov. 27 – Elections open
- Week of Dec. 11 – Elections close
- Week of Dec. 17 – 2024 board of directors announced
The nomination period for the 2024 Board of Directors elections will open Fall 2023.