Research shows it takes multiple efforts to finally give up tobacco, the number one cause of preventable death and disease in the country. Patients want to hear about the benefits of tobacco cessation from their health care providers, and these should be discussed at every visit because it may take multiple conversations before the patient decides to make a quit plan.
Some tips about talking to patients include:
- Ask about their tobacco use, and listen to their hopes and concerns about quitting
- Inform them of the new benefit, and let them know you can help them try new medication and counseling options until you find the one that works for them.
- Prescribe medications and offer evidence-based support
- Counseling – Individual or Group, provided by your clinic (Coding and prescription details available online here)
- Referral to the Kansas Quitline (1-800-Quit-Now)
- Follow up with appointments or conversations about how the interventions are working
In Kansas, the expanded KanCare benefits provide a better chance for patients to have successful outcomes. Let patients know about the benefits today.