Everyone loves a good scare on Halloween, but not when it comes to the safety of those little trick-or-treaters. Fortunately, there are a lot of easy things parents and kids can do to stay safe on the spookiest of holidays. Share these Halloween safety tips with your patients:
Top Tips for Halloween Safety
- Carry glow sticks or flashlights, use reflective tape or stickers on costumes and bags and wear light colors to help kids see and be seen by drivers.
- Join kids under age 12 for trick-or-treating.
- Slow down and be alert! Kids are excited on Halloween and may dart into the street. Turn on headlights early in the day to spot kids from further away.
- Remind kids to cross the street at corners or crosswalks.
- When selecting a costume, make sure it is the right size to prevent trips and falls. Choose face paint over masks when possible. Masks can limit children’s vision.
Here are a few more Halloween safety tips.