The quarterly journal, Kansas Family Physician is now available online. You will soon receive your copy in the mail. Inside you will find:
- KAFP’s 2021 governance leadership
- Kansas Exemplary Teaching Award winners and Humanitarian Award recipient
- A special guest for our Member Spotlight
- 2020 AAFP Board of Directors candidate
- A fascinating article on climate change and more!
You can view this issue of the Kansas Family Physician along with past issues on the KAFP website — click here.
We continue to update and reorganize KAFP’s COVID-19 resource page on the KAFP website for our members, including most recently a section for “Back to School” resources for your school-age patients and their parents.
Be sure to bookmark the COVID-19 web page to easily find all resources in one location. Bookmark https://kafponline.org/COVID-19
If you have additional resources that are not included on our resource page, please let us know at email@example.com.
Calling all medical students! You are invited to attend this virtual Kansas Family Medicine Residency Fair featuring presentations from our four residency programs:
- Ascension Via Christi Family Medicine Residency
- KU Family Medicine Residency
- Smoky Hill Family Medicine Residency
- Wesley Family Medicine Residency
Don’t miss this opportunity to engage with each of the residency program’s residents and faculty!
Sign up today!
- Communications/Awards Committee
- Governmental Advocacy Committee
- Membership & Member Services Committee
- Professional Development Committee
- Governance Restructure Task Force
- Implicit Bias Training Task Force
- Rural Health Summit Task Force
- HB 2016 – Omnibus COVID-19 Response
- Healthcare Provider Immunity (Section 10)
- Telemedicine (Section 20)
- Hospitals and Medical Care Facilities (Section 21)
- Temporary Emergency License (Section 22)
- Temporary Licensure Measures for Additional Healthcare Providers (Section 23)
- Critical Access Hospitals (Section 39)
- SB 252 – KanCare Expansion
- SB 493 – Health Care Stabilization Fund
- HB 2412 – APRN Expanded Scope of Practice without Collaborative Practice Agreement
- HB 2563 – Increasing the Age to Purchase or Possess Cigarettes, E-cigarettes, & Tobacco Products
- HB 2570 – Limiting Certain Opioid Prescriptions to Seven-Day Supply
- HB 2601 – Restricting Authority of KDHE to Specify School Immunization Requirements
We have a great lineup of Fam Med Forward 2020 virtual resident presentation speakers and topics available for you to view at https://kafponline.org/virtualcme. You may register for one or multiple of these webinars at no charge! Each webinar is approved for 1.0 AAFP Prescribed credit.
Tues, June 9 at 12:15 – 1:15 p.m.
Thurs., June 11 at 12:15 – 1:15 p.m.
Tues., June 16 at 12:15 – 1:15 p.m.
Our first online election was successful with 13 percent of eligible voting members participating — compared to two percent who normally participate in-person during the annual membership meeting.
Congratulations to the following leaders who will serve on the KAFP Board of Directors during the 2020-21 governance year. Each district office is a one-year term. Delegate and alternate delegate seats serve a two-year term.
Secretary: Jared Johnson, MD (Wichita)
Delegate: Jen Brull, MD, FAAFP (Plainville)
Alternate Delegate: Diane Steere, MD (Wichita)
District 2 Director: Tessa Rohrberg, MD (Winfield)
District 4 Director: Jonathan Pike, MD (Great Bend)
District 6 Director: Graig Nickel, MD, FAAFP (Lawrence)
District 8 Director: Derrick Totten, MD, MPH (Colby)
These dedicated leaders will join the following elected volunteers to serve on the 2020-21 Board of Directors as voting members:
President: Chad Johanning, MD, FAAFP (Lawrence)
President-Elect: Jennifer Bacani McKenney, MD, FAAFP (Fredonia)
Vice President: Debra Doubek, MD, FAAFP (Manhattan)
Treasurer: Gretchen Irwin, MD, MBA, FAAFP (Andover)
Board Chair: Sheryl Beard, MD, FAAFP (Andover)
AAFP Delegate: Doug Gruenbacher, MD (Quinter)
Alternate Delegate Lynn Fisher, MD, FAAFP (Wichita)
District 1 Director: Keith Ratzlaff, MD (Olathe)
District 3 Director: Dirk Smith, MD, FAAFP (Wichita)
Distrcit 5 Director: Danelle Perry, MD (Manhattan)
District 7 Director: Jill Linville, MD (Lakin)
KUSM-Kansas City Faculty Director: Margaret Smith, MD, MPH, MHSA, FAAFP
KUSM-Wichita Faculty Director: Rex Keith, MD
We had close races for both contested seats (secretary and district 4). Thank you to all who exercised your membership privilege to vote. We also appreciate the time and dedication of our candidates.
All KAFP members are invited to attend the KAFP Virtual Town Hall meeting on Friday, May 15. This virtual alternative to our annual membership meeting, which has historically taken plan in person during the annual conference, will provide members the opportunity to discuss Academy business, learn about this year’s election process and recognize our 2020 award winners. This virtual meeting will allow for higher member participation and there is no charge to attend. We hope you will join us.
EVENT: KAFP Virtual Town Hall
DATE: Friday, May 15
TIME: 12:15 p.m.